Monday, August 2, 2010

It's the Best Day Everrrrr!

Where do I start?  How about this?  Our driver was late and he almost killed us on the way over.  He had to slam the brakes and I went from the 3rd back to the front, but who cares? We got to the Civil Affairs office and he was sleeping!  There were about 8 other family's getting there children.  All the kids were running around, flashes going off, lots of noise all around and there was our white haired cutie sound asleep.  The nanny who was holding him had to yell to wake him.  Lai Chun opened his eyes, and said he had to pee, so off they went.  Now Grant brought us into the office and we signed a temp guardianship document for the one day.  Tomorrow we go back and make the adoption official.  For those of you just joining me on this journey, Lai Chun has albinism, white hair, white eyelashes, and very light skin color.  His eyes seem to be light blue with slight redish hue in the center.  His nystagmis seemed less severe than we thought.  Lai Chun also seems to see very well and not that photophobic. He would look straight at the light without squinting or shutting his eyes.  He is seeing an eye specialist on Sept 7th so I'll let you know whats up. Now back to the meeting.  The nanny finally brought him to us in the office and the director came in to give us a photo book, Gold coin of the CWI, plus a few ofLai Chun's favorite snacks.  He took to me, so I was holding him.  Every now and then tears would roll down, but no sounds from him.  They kept on saying to ask questions about what he likes and any and all info on him.  My wife and I never really understood why they emphasize this.  What does he eat? What time does he go to bed?  What does he play with? Who was his foster mother? You see none of this matters to us.  He will eat what we eat and I'm sure he will forget about congee because we will never make mushy watery rice at our house.  He will go to bed when it's bedtime in our house.  He's only 2 1/2.  Hope that dosen't come off mean, it's just the way we feel.  He is starting a new wonderful life and everything will be better and different from now on.  Another thing about the Chinese way of raising children, they all think they are his parents too.  Our guide who we love said about his eye sight.  Do not get him glasses, children don't need them or wear them because they run around, this is no good for them.  Anyway I'll shut up now.

When we returned to the hotel about an hour later, Lai Chun sat on the bed eating oreo cookies and being silent.  this went on for about two hours, then came the screeming and crying.  That only lasted for minutes.  When he calmed down I had to hold him in my arms and Tracey could not do to much with him.  I also couldn't leave him to go into the bathroom, so he came with me.  He cried a little more and still no talking or sounds came from my little boy.  He took my hand and brought me over to his bed and I laid him down.  When that unleashed the talking monster! He has been playing with Tracey as I type and hasn't stopped talking and laughing for the past 2 hours.  We are all over tired and I can't wait for the next few day's.  One more thing, it's been over 100F everyday.  My weather app says feels like 122 today!  

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled you are blogging!! It brings back alot of memories!! Congrats! I can't wait till you can post pictures!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete